mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

Saga, Volume 1 - Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples I'd like to think I could talk about Saga forever, but the truth is at some point, I would just dissolve into an incoherent tangle of "BUY THIS WITH ALL OF THE MONEY YOU'LL EVER HAVE YOU WON'T REGRET IT" and "MARKO AND ALANA ARE SO COOL" and "SAGAAAAA" ad nauseum.

Saga reaches into your guts, tugs at all the strings, and hooks you one page in. It's a birthing scene involving a woman with scrappy little dragon wings and a man with ram horns on his head, but they could be the couple next door for the way they snap at each other. And it doesn't stop there. Vaughan is amazing at showing the depth and grit of Alana and Marko's relationship with a few simple words, and Staples's art is gut-punchingly raw and lovely. Nearly every page has a surprise -- be it a hilarious joke, a beautiful rendering of an environment or just a character's face, or some bizarre creature just being a casual abomination of nature, no big deal. It's a story of star-crossed love, of adventure in a universe filled with surreal creatures that shouldn't exist, of survival in a reality that rejects the very core of you because of love. It's grit and gore and dirty words, mixed with raw emotions and powerful moments. It's Saga.

Parting words? If you're not reading Brighan K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples's baby Saga, baby you're so wrong.