mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

This is How You Die: Stories of the Inscrutable, Infallible, Inescapable Machine of Death - Ryan North, Matthew Bennardo, David Malki, Nathan Burgoine, Toby W. Rush, Rhiannon Kelly, Ryan Estrada, George Page III, Chandler Kaiden, Tom Francis, Grace Seybold, D.L.E. Roger, Daliso Chaponda, John Takis, Ada Hoffmann, Rebecca Black, Karen Stay Ahlstrom, Gord Sellar, M I'm not a big fan of anthologies, because most of the time the story quality varies and sometimes you plow through a story just to get to the next. Not so in this book. Not a single story fails to draw you into its little world. I'm amazed at how all the writers took a single theme and ran with it, in extremely different directions.

From fantasy tales, to sci-fi adventures, to zombie apocalypse stories, to military accounts -- hell, even the superhero genre gets a shot. There's a choose your own adventure story, a story where humans have all died out and an alien race investigates our remains, a story that takes you back to pre-Revolution France, and a story about a vending machine that's vaguely Lovecraftian in tone. It's an incredibly mixed bag, all revolving around a common and compelling theme -- death. The stories look at how society accepts or rejects knowing one's death, how people change and react to knowing how their lives will end. All wildly interesting stories about the only universal constant - death.