mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

Ravishing the Heiress - Sherry Thomas While I was reading this book, I was absolutely absorbed by it, along for every twist and turn in the bumpy ride. Once it was over and I'd had some time to think about it, though, the glowing review I wanted to write refused to come forward. The resolution was too easily accomplished -- a more satisfying ending would have given more validation to Millie's many years of suffering. Fitz had it far too easy, considering all the anguish he'd inflicted upon Millie, and I wanted him to fully realize it. I will not deny some amount of vindictiveness.

Also, I understand that Helena's story is next in line, but honestly she took up so much of the Millie and Fitz's story that I don't really want to read about her anymore -- the baiting tactic has backfired. I don't think I'll be picking up the next book any time soon.

Still, I really enjoyed reading this book, despite the profusion of flashbacks (generally I'm not a fan of flashbacks, but I understood the need for them here, at least). Millie may be long-suffering, but she never gives off the impression of being a tragic martyr or a figure of pity, and I respected that. Fitz is oblivious and sometimes absolutely awful, but I completely understand his behavior. This story could have been his and Isabelle's, after all.

Anyway, it's all right. I liked this book well enough, and it gave me a good few hours of escape and emotional validation haha.