mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

Oath of Gold - Elizabeth Moon Bless this book, it was brilliant. The past two books were fairly lukewarm for me -- great action and emotional segments peppered with many boring scenes and far too much exposition. By the time the third book rolls around, though, the exposition is less and we finally get to the meat of things. I stayed up to read this and woke up early to reach the end, and what a satisfying end it was!

Paks is finally a full paladin in her own right and she is ready to take on the world. It's a bit amazing to me to see how much she's matured over the past three books, culminating in that horrifying chapter where she truly shows her inner strength. I am not gonna lie, that chapter was one of the most difficult things I've ever read in my life, but I've never admired another character more. I almost cried at the end of the fifth day. While I do think that it was almost too convenient for her to be so well healed from her injuries, to the point where the Lady even restores her shorn hair (deus ex machina all around!), I honestly couldn't be happier because Paks had been through so much.

This trilogy started out slow, but crashed down like a tidal wave towards the end. I'd love to read more about Paks, but Elizabeth Moon's meandering style of narration may or may not break the streak.