mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

Sheepfarmer's Daughter - Elizabeth Moon I've heard many great things about this series, so I was pretty eager to pick it up. Girl runs away from home to become legendary warrior? I'm sold.

I quite like that the world doesn't revolve around the protagonist -- for this first book, anyway. There are many scenes that take place without her playing a pivotal role, and she is really just an ordinary soldier (at first, anyway). I like that there isn't anything extraordinary about her that she hasn't trained extremely hard to earn.

Still, I did occasionally wish that Paks would step up more often. A tad less world-building and a whole lot more character development would have been excellent. She tends to fade into the background more than any other protagonist I've read. I understand that it makes sense -- she's still slowly rising up the ranks and they'd have no reason whatsoever to consult with her.

I guess I'm just trying to get a better handle on Paks's character. I understand and admire her dedication to doing what's right, and I like that she's hot--tempered and impulsive in battle, but I want to know what makes her tick.