mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

Friday's Child - Georgette Heyer It took me a while to get into this book, which I've found isn't unusual for a Heyer novel. A lot of the time, things start out slow but eventually build up to a wonderful payoff that leaves me smiling.

This book? Did that, I suppose, but it took me several days of picking this up then putting it down as soon as something else more interesting came along. But when the pair of them stopped faffing around London and things became a little less (or perhaps a little more) madcap, that's when I stayed up until 2AM to finish the book.

At first, I just wanted to shake Hero -- she is not my sort of heroine at all, and I found her blind devotion to Sherry more than a little frustrating. I understand that having a crush can blind you to another person's faults, but it doesn't entirely rob you of your senses! Naivety only goes so far, and none of the important events in this book are set into motion by her own doing. Yes, that robs her of any blame, but it also makes her awfully passive and not at all the sort of heroine we want to imagine ourselves as. However, she did make for a great romantic foil to Sherry, and I suppose that's all the book really needed from her.

Sherry, though -- I rather like Sherry. He's impulsive, careless, selfish, and not at all swoon-worthy in the way most novel heroes are. We need more silly, lighthearted heroes in this genre instead of man-mountains brooding around in disheveled yet rakishly handsome states. Sherry's character arc was far more interesting than Hero's, partly because of his excellent camaraderie with his hilarious supporting cast, and because seeing him actively decide to change his life was something that lacked from Hero's own trajectory.