mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare Ehhh. A bit too melodramatic for me. I get that the circumstances in which our heroine finds herself are a bit difficult to undergo without a healthy dose of self-pity and doubt, but to be honest, I would have preferred this book a fair bit lighter on the romantic angst and heavier on the actual events. Cassandra Clare seems to be capable of doing humor -- her characters have lively comebacks in a way no real teenager ever could (but we suspend disbelief in things like this because we like the funny), so it sort of disappoints me that she chose to go down the path of drama and tears.

Clary is also an incredibly Mary-Suish Mary Sue, and that gets older the more abilities she develops. (Is this a spoiler? I'll leave it as a spoiler, just in case.) I would have personally liked to see more of the Inquisitor and the other Shadowhunters, but as the world revolves around Clary and her friends, I suppose I'll have to wait until the next book to really enjoy Shadowhunters.