mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

The King of Attolia - Megan Whalen Turner So I basically just tore through the entirety of Megan Whalen Turner's The Queen's Thief series in the span of roughly four or five days. Each book is an insightful study of human character and a keen understanding of tricky political waters. Each a brilliant little gem of intrigue, adventure, and genuine emotion, but The King of Attolia is possibly my favorite pick of the bunch.

Gen is now the Attolis, King of Attolia, and he's deliberately not at all shaping up to be anyone's idea of a king. Attolia and Costis are not alone in their frustration at Gen's stubborn determination to appear a weak and layabout sort of king, because I kept wanting shout at Gen to fight back or take revenge in a dastardly sneaky thievish way.

I think Turner's decision to tell most of the story through the point of view of Costis instead of Gen's was an incredibly good idea, although I was initially rather put out about that. Part of the reason why I couldn't put this down was because I didn't know what Gen had planned -- nobody did, and that kept me going. I loved reading how Costis's opinion of his king gradually changed.

The expectation of the final reveal, the big turnaround when Gen proved to everyone that there was, in fact, a king beneath all that frippery? Pretty much the most satisfying thing I've read in a really long time. Definitely gonna wear my copy of this book to shreds, so maybe I'd better buy another one.