mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen There doesn't really seem to be a point in my saying anything about this book because so much (both good and bad) has already been said about it, that saying anything now will just be redundant. Nevertheless, this book is such an important part of literature (and possibly my life) that not saying anything about it would be a crime.

The writing does take a bit of getting used to. I first read this when I was eleven, and it was a difficult but worthwhile trudge to the finish. It's much easier now, because after hurtling the first few paragraphs, a sort of rhythm sets in and you get used to the convoluted sentences, just like when reading Shakespeare.

I personally love this book. That is one truth about me that won't change. However, it's grown to be something of a monster, inspiring few adaptations that are true to the story or even worth watching. I suppose this is an effect of becoming mainstream, and it's nice to give your imagination a rest and see your favorite characters moving around on a screen, but sometimes enough is enough. Sometimes you just want a book to be a book.