mikkicrisostomo

The Moment Stealer

Sunshine - Robin McKinley This book was only 416 pages, but it felt like a lot more, and not in a good way. I was disappointed by this latest McKinley offering, to tell the truth.

While the world McKinley had created for this story was interesting and very well-realized, I couldn't relate to Sunshine at all, and her relationship with Con was too vague and somewhat difficult to understand. Maybe I was too influenced by the whole monstrosity of McKinley's vampires, but I could see no reason whatsoever Sunshine would even feel anything remotely resembling attraction to someone who, for all intents and purposes, is an ugly gray thing.

This book took a ridiculously long time to get to anything exciting, filling pages and pages with more details of Sunshine's mundane life than you could ever want to hear. It was building up, a little, but the payoff was not at all worth the wait. I think if you excised the parts of this book that have no impact on the story whatsoever, you'd be stuck with a little less than a hundred pages.

Here's hoping Chalice does better.